Thursday, February 28, 2013

Serv Safe?


Yesterday I attended an all day course called Serv Safe. From 8 am to 5:30 pm I was required by NYS Dept. of Health to receive training in how to minimize the threat that my cooking can cause to you, the public. When we got into the class, the instructor asked us to open our packets, and find a small blue index card. We were asked to fold the card in half to create a table tent. On the front, facing the instructor, we were instructed to write our name, so that she could identify us. On the back, facing ourselves, we were asked to write the reason we were here, so that when it got tedious and boring, we could read our written response to this question, to motivate us to stay alert (or at least awake). I chose not to write anything. I knew why I was there, and the reason if written on the card, would by no means motivate me to wake up. As it turns out, I had no problem staying awake, as the class was very informative, and after all I was paying good money for the education. Since I hate to waste my time or money, the instructor had my attention. Most of the class involves good and indisputable information about viruses, bacteria, cross contamination and sanitation.
 However, I feel compelled to question one point that was driven in to us over and over again. That being the procurement of product that is considered safe to sell in my restaurant. I was told that it is considered unsafe, and in most cases illegal to sell product that has been procured anywhere but from the major food service distributors. The FDA labels these distributors as safe and reliable, and smaller independent producers as unsafe and unreliable. Who is lobbying the government to make this determination? Are we still beholden to the old farm bill that has been proven unsustainable, by funneling the procurement of my purchases to mega farms, and factories? The course even instructs me to purchase pre- prepared ready to eat foods, to minimize my exposure to potential risk, from critical control points of danger caused by doing anything to the food but heating it and serving it. I was further disheartened to learn that among the most dangerous foods that I could prepare, local wild mushrooms, wild game (say free range), and house cured meats were of greatest concern to the Feds. As a dedicated lover of local and hand made ingredients, this premise is at odds with my very core values. It is dangerous for folks to put all of their eggs in one basket (don't tell 'em where I get my eggs!) and I am very concerned that the factory farms and multi national conglomerates put our food supply at much greater risk for potential danger than a diversified and locally managed one could ever do. As I sat in that mandatory class, I feared that my days are numbered in this profession, because the general acceptance by the population of government control over our safety and health will eventually drive me underground. My own neighbors, thinking they are doing their patriotic duty, might turn me in for cooking a hamburger that didn't come from big brothers factory farm. Sad state of affairs indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment